Monday, September 04, 2006

Chariton Farm Machinery Auction Annual Pilgrimage

Today I went to the 40th annual Labor Day Chariton Farm Machinery Auction in Chariton, IA. It is a large, two day consignment auction of tractors, combines, trucks, farm equipment, parts, lawn mowers...basically a bit of everything. My goal was to buy an grain auger, which I had scouted out a few days before.

Most of the equipment is 1970's vintage, and pretty well worn in most cases. A lot of smaller stuff that wouldn't have a home on most modern farms; 4 row planters and cultivators, 13' disks, 15' field cultivators, etc. Also, some orphaned equipment from the change from diversified farms to more crop only operations; forage choppers, silage wagons, manure spreaders, etc.

The crowd was also interesting to watch; a few younger progressive farmers, but mostly old-timers that came for the action. Maybe they are thinking back to their younger days when this equipment was new and they were farming fence row to fence row with their IH 1206's. When the average age of the Iowa Farmer is between 55 and 60, you shouldn't plan to see a young crowd there, I suppose.

I caught up with some folks I know from the area, and we shot the breeze for a while, trying to goad the other into putting a few bids on that IH Loadstar truck with missing title or a Minneapolis Moline G1355. We got talking about the ownership of semi trucks for grain hauling. Most every operation of my size or larger today has semi trucks. However, I can't see the cost effectiveness of owning one. To own a semi and to move my grain, it would cost me $0.25/bushel. That includes my time valued at $12/hour. I can hire this done for $0.22/bushel today. Having a semi would be great, and maybe someday it will pencil out, but until then, I can't justify it.

I ended up buying a 8" x 60' Ferterl auger for $1800. It was in very new shape, so I think I got a deal. I got out of there as quick as I could after buying it so I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything else. This will be used to unload DDGS into my hopper bin (yet to be built) from a semi truck.

Overall, the auction was interesting. Got to see some equipment that had me asking what the heck the engineers were thinking. Why anyone would have bought a White 4-150 Field Boss brand new is beyond me...dealer must have been his cousin or something.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeremie Jordan said...

The White 4-150 Field Boss. If I recall correctly, I picked up my first date in a Field Boss. I hung a silk dogs playing pokers poster in the back window, you know to "keep it real." Then I took her to bingo night at the Baptist church. Good times.

8:22 AM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger bgunzy said...

Ha ha, but little do you realize that it is quite popular here in The South of Iowa to take your date to prom in a fancy new John Deere tractor. No joking. Kids whose fathers don't own one will borrow them from a neighbor and take the date to prom.

Kinda hard to "get busy" in a cab of a JD 8100 (although some new tractors do have leather heated seats and CD stereos)...

6:50 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger Jeremie Jordan said...

I smell opportunity...

Can you say stretched John Deere Tractor?

8:09 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger The Publican said...

Tonight on MTV, Pimp my Combine.

11:49 AM, September 06, 2006  
Anonymous AuctionsRealtyIowa said...

May 22,2010 Centerville, Iowa public auction

The following auction will be held at two (2) separate locations. The real estate auction will be at the house located at 21416 240th Ave, 1 mile east of Centerville IA on Hwy #2 then S on 240th Ave AT 9:00 AM. The remainder of the items will be auctioned at 10:30 AM at the Appanoose County Fairgrounds located at W Franklin St in Centerville IA (Follow auctions signs)
On SATURDAY MAY 22, 2010 http://www.auctionsandrealtyunlimited.com/auctionslist/antiques-collectibles-furnitures

5:34 AM, May 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home