Thursday, February 08, 2007

Escape from Wisconsin

Yesterday I went to Wisconsin. And I made it out in one piece.

Went to Platteville, just 25 miles from Dubuque, to purchase a stationary feed mixer for my increasingly popular DDGS business. And while the folks where I bought it from were exceedingly friendly (even washed my pickup while they worked on the trailer lights!), I noticed a few small things here and there in Cheeseland that reminded me I was not in The South of Iowa:

1) Supper Clubs - Eastern Iowa has more of these, too, but they are non-existent here.
2) Papst Blue Ribbon signs
3) Knights of Columbus, the Catholic knock off of Freemasonry
4) Cheese curds (probably to attract the tourists)

However, if I didn't live in The South of Iowa, and had my choice of rural places to live, I would honestly consider southern Wisconsin. Beautiful country, a vibrant rural culture/community, and nice folks. Having more bars in a town than churches is quite interesting, but I think alcohol is considered in a different light than by the Prohibition minded Protestants here.

Wisconsin, you are my friend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stand the state. I'm always annoyed when I go there and can't wait to get back. People from there also annoy the ever living crap out of me. It seems like it's always Wisconsin this Wisconsin that, in Wisconsin they have this and Wisconsin they have that, in Wisconsin we did this and in Wisconsin we did that, Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin If I was ever governor of Iowa or any state bordering Wisconsin the first thing I would do would be to call up the state national guard and call up the militia and invade Wisconsin and annex it. Sure we'd have to change the US flag but we could take the opportunity to get rid of a few others. Hawaii is bitching about wanting independence so we can cut them loose too. That place is a hell hole anyway and the mainland is getting sick of the bitching. You have a good chance of getting beat up and rolled if you leave the hotel. They really don't like whitey out there by the way.

11:47 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Jeni said...

platteville dweller, here.

thought your post was clever.

who doesn't love a good curd?!?!

3:14 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger bgunzy said...

You betcha - curds, Old Style, and the Pack on TV! Nothing gets better than that! :)

7:54 AM, February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home