Saturday, May 19, 2007

Rambling thoughts at 2:30 AM

Maddy's had me up twice tonight; she wakes up and brings half of her crib's contents with her into our room. That, plus some acid reflux from having a roast beef dinner too close to turning in has brought me here. So, I'm settling down to the keyboard with a bowl of cereal and milk and my mind still wandering from the day before.

Finished planting our corn today. Finally. Planted 300 acres in 3 full days. Just have 24 acres to do for a customer south of the Junction and possibly some replant here on the flats. Soybean planting should take 4-5 days, and we've got it in the ground.

I've seen a lot of wildlife the last few days; I had "El Lobo" the coyote following me on one farm. He thought my marker going through a patch of weeds was a rabbit, so he chased it a bit until finding out a steel disk wasn't too appetizing. Later, I scared him out of restful slumber in another patch of weeds. I saw numerous deer at another farm. They will certainly be taking a toll on the corn population later this year. Thanks, Jeff Vonk.

Now, for a totally unrelated subject, here's my analysis of Pearl Jam's "Alive":

Son, she said, have I got a little story for you
What you thought was your daddy was nothin but a... What? A milkman? Tell us!
While you were sittin home alone at age thirteen Playing Nintendo...?
Your real daddy was dyin,
sorry you didnt see him,
but Im glad we talked... Thanks for dropping that bomb on me, mom.

Oh i, oh, Im still alive
Hey, i, i, oh, Im still alive
Hey i, oh, Im still alive
Hey...oh...

So, is this the Dad saying "I'm Alive, I'm Alive!", maybe from within a prison cell, and Mom just told a lie to cover it up, or is it Eddie Vedder telling the rest of the band that no, really, despite the massive amounts of drugs he's taken, he's alive and came up with these lyrics on his own. Hmm, we'll see.

Oh, she walks slowly, across a young mans room
She said Im ready...for you Now, this is getting a bit freaky here.
I cant remember anything to this very day
cept the look, the look... Must not have been a good experience...
Oh, you know where, now I cant see, I just stare...

I, Im still alive
Hey i, but, Im still alive
Hey i, boy, Im still alive
Hey i, i, i, Im still alive, yeah
Ooh yeah...yeah yeah yeah...oh...oh...

Is something wrong, she said
Well of course there is
You're still alive, she said Ah, a revelation!
Oh, and do I deserve to be
Is that the question
And if so...if so...who answers...who answers... Yeah Eddie, who answers! Tell us!

I, oh, Im still alive
Hey i, oh, Im still alive
Hey i, but, Im still alive
Yeah i, ooh, Im still alive
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

OK, this song basically sets up the listener with some interesting, possibly intriguing information. Then Eddie goes off and sings about how he, or the Dad, or the milkman, is alive, and he never finishes telling us what the heck is going on. Did Mom kill off Dad? Did Mom bury Dad and alive and he came back from the dead to seek his revenge? What does Junior having his first, um, "experience" have to do with anything? We are left with only questions...which is maybe how Mr Vedder wanted it to be.

Sorry folks, but that's all I could interpret from this song. Maybe it has anti-war undertones, or it warns us of impending apocalyptic environmental doom. Or, maybe, it's just a bunch of nonsense that rhymes. But in my sleep-deprived stupor, that's beyond me at this point.

Next week, Stone Temple Pilot's Big Empty...uh, yeah.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Deplorable Old Bulldog said...

Dude, play something upbeat and quiet at 2:30 a.m. Insomnia will not be helped with that depressing Pearl Jam Gen X B.S.

You need "Octopus' Garden" at that hour.

10:33 PM, May 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While the real dad was rotting in prison, the stepdad was raping and molesting he and his sister.

12:58 AM, May 20, 2007  
Blogger bgunzy said...

Oh, I wasn't listening to Pearl Jam at 2:30 AM, I've had it stuck in my head for 15 years!

Anonymous 12:58 AM: Maybe the step-son is the subject of "Jeremy"?

It all makes sense now...

8:07 AM, May 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Jeremy is closely based off of an actual incident in a Texas school. Seriously dude. Look it up!!!

10:30 PM, May 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home