Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Why I live in the country...

Came home today after mixing and delivering feed, calibrating corn planter meters, and other general farm/business stuff. Jackie had to go to a meeting, so I watched the kids. They both wanted to go outside to the backyard, so we did so.

Gradyon spent his time raking the garden, preparing it, as he says, "for pumpkins for Halloween". He has raked the soil the garden about 50 different times it seems, but it still needs a bit more work. Maddy was busy picking dandylions and bringing them to me to rub on my cheeks and nose. I considered my son's gardening abilities, and my daughter's multi-tinted red hair, and thought - how nice is it to be able to relax and take this all in, just out my back door.

It was quiet, except for the birds chirping and an occasional jet flying overhead. No cars, no trucks, no horns, no loud music...just simple peace and quiet, and the enjoyment of my children. I could look north and know that for the next 3/4 of a mile, it is our ground. Looking south, another 1/8 of a mile to the road, and then a friendly neighbor.

My children have a backyard (and front and side yards) that are bigger than some metro parks. We don't have to worry about about gangs, druggies, etc. I can sit at this computer, look out the sliding window door, and know where my kids are at all times.

This is living.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mango said...

A sweet post! Reminds me of my Iowa childhood.

12:23 PM, April 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, great post!

12:24 PM, April 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home