Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Spiders in the Mist...

Took these pictures this morning out in my soybean plot north of the house. I thought the dew would show off the webs better.




These spiders are probably getting nice and fat on the grasshoppers they catch in their webs; we've had a lot of 'hoppers in the last 2-3 weeks. I just noticed the spiders yesterday; they probably thrived because of the GH population. These gals are lowering my GH levels naturally, without me needing to go out and spray some nasty insecticide. Way to go, Nature!

By the way, these are GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) soybeans, specifically Roundup Ready...

3 Comments:

Blogger The Publican said...

I had one of those mo-fos on my front porch a couple of days ago, I believe they are corn spiders. I however do not take the lovey dovey insect control stance you do. I believe in the circle of life, food chain, and that I am the ultimate insect controller. I hit him with the stream of my garden hose knocking him a good 20 feet off the web. I consider that merciful. Later that day I dropped 2 bug bombs (at once) in my basement to try and reclaim it from the spiders. I win.

4:32 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger bgunzy said...

Little do these little buggers know that I'll be running them through my combine in a few weeks, a death almost as gruesome as your bug spray.

No, I will not sign Circle Of Life...

6:45 PM, September 05, 2006  
Blogger The Publican said...

It's good to be the King.

11:46 AM, September 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home