Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Feed truck update

Here's an update on how the new feed truck project is going.

Got the feed body moved over to the new truck last Thursday with the help of the guys from Agriland FS. They brought their forklift out and we were able to put the feed body on the new truck. In the process, however, it tipped over and dented a couple of the compartments, but I should be able to hammer them out in the future.

Started mounting the hydraulic tank Monday when I noticed it had a leak in it. I was going to Des Moines on Tuesday, so I got a new aluminum tank for it. I got it mounted on the truck last night right before dark.

Today, I plumbed up the hydraulic lines, put oil in the reservoir, and started it up.

Nothing.

I realized that the rotation of the pump was reversed from when it was on the old truck, and therefore, it was sucking when it should have been pushing, and vice versa.

So, I spent the afternoon re-plumbing everything, switching the lines from side to side. I finally got it finished around 6 PM. Loaded some feed on the truck, and off I went to deliver some DDGS to a customer who was past overdue needing it.

I got to the farmer's place and started unloading. Everything was OK, but then I noticed a fairly good stream of hot oil coming out of one of the many joints in the plumbing. Then, the PTO stopped working. My guess is that the set screw on the U-joint to the PTO slipped out. It was too hot to work on it tonight, so I got a ride back home from my father.

So, after working on this rig for the last three weeks outside in the heat, sunshine, and mud, and a limited number of tools, I finally got something to work. Sort of.

Does anyone know if a special pipe joint compound is required for high heat demands, such as hot hydraulic oil? I'll research on the 'net, but any advice would be great. Thanks!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been a while since I messed with hydraulics but if I remember right we used Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant. If memory serves it came in a white tube with RED writing on a RED card. White goopy stuff. I remember it was pretty expensive. A tube of that stuff at the parts store was like 15 bucks and someone always lost it from one job to the next.

There was another type but it was acquired from an AV shop and I never messed with it.

3:19 AM, August 16, 2007  
Blogger Jim said...

Hey Bob, just thought I'd pop in. Good meeting you at the fair on Tuesday!

-Jim

7:25 PM, August 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was another Permatex product in a blue tube (the goop was blue also) I used when I needed to nurse a worn gasket. The only problem with this stuff is, you'll need a five foot cheater bar to pry off whatever you glued after it sets up.

9:06 AM, August 17, 2007  
Blogger bgunzy said...

Good to meet you too, Jim.

I got some pipe sealant made by Permatex at the auto parts store in town. I'll try it this afternoon and see what happens.

Now I'm getting an oil/water alarm on the truck, even though the water temp and oil pressure are OK. After running 30 seconds it shuts off. This problem comes and go, so I think it's a bad connector or sensor.

12:00 PM, August 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was out of town today buying some anchor shackles and noticed the place there had a permatex product that specifically said it was a Pneumatic and Hydraulic sealant. It was on a Red card and was in a blue bottle. They had the other red card white tube red writing High Temp Sealant but this I hadn't seen before.

Thought of this post when I seen it.

1:50 PM, August 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home