Friday, September 22, 2006

Harvest is upon us...

The South of Iowa may not be updated as often as it has been earlier this month. Harvest is upon us here. We're starting on some corn at one farm first, then switching to soybeans, then back to corn after soybeans. So far we've done 21 acres. Average yield is 190 bu/ac, which is great.

Yo, check out my fly ride.

My HS math teacher would refer to something like this as a "Chick-Pig". Not quite a chicken, not quite a pig. In this case, we already had the cornhead and bought an adapter to make it fit the IH 1460 combine. Works quite well together. That's an Iowa State flag hanging off the side of the cab, by the way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeremie Jordan said...

Ouch...my eyes...my eyes...

I will never forget "helping" my uncle and grandfather harvest the crops on our family farm.

As a kid it was easy for me, but it was so much fun. Almost the entire family would show up and help [my mom had eight brothers and sisters]. My dad would work all day, then we would go out to the farm and drive the combine all night. I would be riding in the cab with him until I got sleepy. His CB handle was "eagle eyes" and he would combine all night.

My "job" was to push out the remaining corn or soybeans from the wagons when we emptied them into the corn crib or silos. I loved riding in the wagons and then climbing up into the corn crib and watching it fill up.

I did actually work hard bailing hay though.

8:54 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger bgunzy said...

Did you grandpa and uncle pick ear corn, or combine it, or both? There are a few die-hards around here that still pick a little ear corn, primarily for cattle.

Is your uncle still farming? Did your Dad come from a farm, also? A lot of Iowans are not too many generations from the farm.

My dad's CB license # was KEM5003. That was back in the days when you had to license with the FEC to buy and use a CB.

4:48 PM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Jeremie Jordan said...

We had a 3 row corn picker on the John Deere B [I think it was].

My father grew up near Carroll in a town called Breda. He spent his summers working on my Great Grandfather's farm.

He jumped right in helping my mom's family when they married, especially during harvest time.

The other Iowa farm tradition that I love is the Pig Roast. Oh, the great memories...

My great grandfather Fawcett and Grandpa Wirth are now deceased. My uncle is legally blind, so he had to stop farming.

You will never see me on Oprah complaining about my childhood, I loved almost every minute of it.

6:46 PM, September 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home