Saturday, June 02, 2007

Mike Huckabee, my new favorite presidential candidate

Only getting three TV channels, and rarely watching any programs except "Clifford & Friends" or "Curious George" with the kids, I don't get to see many political commercials. However, having spent time in the cab of the tractor or truck, I do hear commentary on talk radio about the candidates.

And although it is still early in the presidential race, my interest has now turned to the former governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee. I've heard his soundbites from the various debates, especially in regards to John Edwards' haircut. But more importantly, I've researched him through his webpage and other sites.

Here's what I like about Huckabee:
1) He was a Baptist minister before getting into politics. He is a Christian, not backing down on his faith, but also not flaunting it, like Pat Robertson did years ago.

2) He is pro-life through and through.

3) He understands what the 2nd Amendment really is; not to protect hunters, but to provide self-defense and protection from tyranny.

4) He wants to secure our borders and is against the current immigration bill (but then again, who isn't?)

5) He will work for energy independence.

One thing that I am unsure on, however, is his favor of the Fair Tax. Maybe I don't understand the workings of this plan quite yet, but the way I see it, it moves the burden of collecting taxes from the IRS to the retailers. Yes, a lot of retailers are currently collecting state and local sales taxes, and maybe there would be no net gain/loss in paperwork, given the employer would no longer have to pay income taxes for their employees (but still FICA and unemployment). As an ag retailer, I currently don't collect sales taxes as nothing I sell is taxable here in Iowa. Since the majority of what I sell are "inputs" (feed, seed, etc), would these be taxed or not?

Well, at least one thing is for sure; Mike Huckabee doesn't like the current tax system. I can agree with him on that.

Finally, Huckabee is not "Rudy McRomney". The three men that make up this triad of Moderatism are not going to gain my vote because of their pro-choice, flip-flopping, big money backgrounds. Huckabee is the real deal, a guy who hasn't spent his entire life in Washington or in boardrooms.

In supporting Huckabee I am in no way dissing guys like Duncan Hunter, Tom Tancredo, Sam Brownback, John Cox, Fred Thompson (who may or not may not be a Rudy McRomney wanna-be), or Ron Paul (who I believe is the most principled candidate out there). These guys are on the right side of the issues for the most part. I just believe Huckabee has a better chance to move forward than the rest.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huckabee has a nanny streak a mile wide. When he was governor he was notorious for his "I know how to run your life better than you do" style of nannyism. He was known for getting on radio shows and really going off the deep end. He had mentioned that he'd ban cigarettes if he could. He tried to ban people from smoking in cars. He tried to give out fat report cards. The list goes on and on.

Some say something happened when he lost all that weight. He lost some critical parts of his anatomy and grew another that wasn't there previously and wouldn't normally be there. *ahem*

Whoever runs is nothing but a sacrificial lamb for Empress Rodhamus Maximus. I say go with character and principle and go with Ron Paul. I'd actually respect the Republican party again and vote for them if they would nominate him.

2:01 AM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger bgunzy said...

I don't disagree about the nanny streak - I've read about that as well, and I am concerned. If he got to the White House, would he go that way again? I hope not; maybe he perceived AR as needing his motherly assistance, but the rest of the states do not.

As for The Ice Queen, I honestly don't think she will win this thing. She is despised by too many, even within her party. Edwards has a better shot, IMHO, or at least here in Iowa.

7:00 AM, June 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but the LAST thing we need is another Arkansas governor sitting in the White House. I agree that Huckabee seems like a good Christian man, but I don't want him getting the Republican nomination because of his nanny tendencies and other issues including taxes.

Ron Paul? He's damn near a "truther". I'd rather smash my balls with a hammer than vote for Ron "go back to the Gold Standard" Paul. To tell the truth, his zombie supporters turn me off more than he does personally, but I like to think that you can judge a man by who his friends/supporters are.

12:57 PM, June 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd ban cigs if I could. :-)

2:19 PM, June 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post.
As a fellow blogger, and Christian, I couldn't agree more.

send me an e-mail if you get a chance.

vincent.harris@explorehuckabee.com

3:49 PM, June 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is, Ron Paul is the only one in those debates who is thinking intelligently on terrorism or Iraq. The rest seem to whipped up into some nonsensical nonthinking sloganized braindead parroting of whatever blather Bush is putting out this week about the tear-wrist threat du jor along with the same mindless justifications like like "they hate us because of our freedom". Case in point Julie's lying distortion during the last debate. He not only blatantly distorted what RP said he showed his ignorance by not even grasping the concept of well discussed and observed blowback.

The truther tag people try to tag him with is bogus. The problem is that the people running the show at the moment don't have any concept of history and we're paying a terrible price because of it. RP seems to have some sort of understanding of how things have worked in the past and what we are doing wrong now.

11:32 PM, June 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. I am also supporting Huckabee. He's right on all the important issues, and he's the best communicator the GOP field has.

10:23 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger noneed4thneed said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:24 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger noneed4thneed said...

I wrote this back on April 2nd... "I am not sure why Huckabee isn't getting noticed more in the Republican field for President. I have seen him a couple of times on CSPAN and have come away with a good impression of him. Now, I only know a little bit about his stances on the issues, but he sounds sane, is likeable, and is a real conseravative. I am not going to vote for him, but I think he would be the type of candidate Republicans could support."

10:27 PM, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs said...

Let's look at smoking intelligently... IT KILLS YOU!!!

Should we legalize meth, crack, and heroine? Of course not!

I feel bad for people over the age of 40 or 50 who honestly didn't know it was going to kill them when they started and got hooked. But people younger than that are complete idiots.

Regarding the fat report cards... Arkansas had the worst child obesity rate of any state in the Union. Like smoking, that rate was going to have a serious negative effect on the future of Arkansas. I give credit to Mike Huckabee's staffers for at least thinking out of the box on that one.

Great post,
Kevin
www.ktracy.com

5:48 PM, June 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home