Sunday, December 30, 2007

Barn fire at a neighbors

Our local fire department, along with units from surrounding towns, responded to a fire at a shed south and east of here on December 27. This is right across the road from a farm that I rent. The shed was mostly full of small hay bales that had been in there for about 4 years, along with some machinery (which got pulled out). The fire chief believes faulty wiring was the culprit.

Here are some pics:

Fires like these are extremely difficult to put out - dry hay can smolder for days if not properly cooled. The HFD used 10 gallons of smothering foam concentrate on this fire - it's mixed at a 1:100 ratio with water, so you know they used a lot of it on this fire.

Hats off to the men and women of the Humeston, Corydon, and Allerton Fire Departments and First Responders, as well as the Wayne Co Sheriff, Emergency Management, and Ambulance offices. No one was hurt, but all were involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home