NIMBYs in Iowa
Here are a few ways to tell if you or your loved one is a NIMBY:
- You are opposed to large scale livestock operations, but you buy your meats at WalMart because they are the lowest cost.
- We need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, so you purchase a hybrid...SUV. This, in turn, uses more energy to build and to dispose of the batteries when its life is over, and your overall mileage doesn't improve considerably.
- You are opposed to GMO (genetically modified organism) corn and soybeans, but you don't care about the farmer having to use more toxic insecticides if GMO corn is banned.
- You request that your local grocer (again, WalMart) stock organic foods, but only if they are microwavable and come in disposable, sealed containers.
- You drive 100 miles each way to see Al Gore's "The Inconvenient Truth".
- You complain about nitrogen levels in rivers and write letters to the DM Register, but think nothing about the "Weed N Feed" you applied to your lawn.
- You're against a new packing plant coming to town because of the "rif-raf" it will draw, but you wouldn't dare check the IDs of the landscapers you've hired.
- You decry big pickup trucks as gas guzzlers, but think nothing of driving across town for a chocolate latte at Starbucks.
As you can see, NIMBYism and environmental hypocrisy are very close in nature.