Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Why I don't write about the war

In these hallowed digital pages, I've blogged about frozen fuel lines, demolition derby car ordinances, conservation reserve program, multiculturalism, and other ramblings. However, you haven't seen much out of me about the Iraq War.

Why not?

First, there's not a whole lot I can do about it. The situation is as it is, and me spewing my opinion into the Blogosphere isn't going to help bring the troops home any sooner or stop the insurgents. Why bother commenting on what other people comment on?

Second, I have mixed feelings about this war. I think our leadership failed to understand the depth and complexity of invading another country. Mistakes were made, some of which we can't back out of easily now.

That being said, we have to do what is best. Getting out now would cause a greater vacuum and make Iraq a real mess. Stepping up troop levels might be a good idea. The new commander, Petraeus (sp), is a smart level headed guy, and I'd listen to what he has to say. The Democrats' recent non-binding resolution to oppose the troop surge sends the wrong message.

Would I like to see us out of Iraq? Absolutely. In addition, I'd like to see us change our foreign policy and reduce our "Imperialist" presence in the globe. However, passing resolutions through a hollow body like the US Senate is not going to do this. Learning lessons from this engagement and applying them to future decisions will be crucial.

I look forward to the day when our troops can leave Iraq (and other long term deployments around the globe) and come back home, having served their country admirably and with honor. They don't make foreign policy, and mistaking the decisions of their leadership with the troops is wrong.

There, now I can remain quiet about this subject for a while longer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any jackass can spout off opinions about foreign policy. I come here to get updates on Distiller's Dried Grain and the proper nitrogen application rate for soil with a CSR of 73.

9:47 AM, February 24, 2007  
Blogger bgunzy said...

Good point - I do provide a somewhat unique service in updating the world about the going-ons of small towns in Wayne Co and how to feed DDGS.

I'll stick to what I know.

12:24 PM, February 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home