Sunday, June 10, 2007

Work on Sunday...


...Fix on Monday.

I thought I'd try to get the rest of the Cambria farm done today. It involved moving the tractors and planters from the west side to the east piece. Simply drive it down the road, right? Naw, that would be too easy. A narrow bridge in between the two pieces prevents simply going a 1/2 mile to the other side. Instead, it requires driving north 2 miles, east one mile, south 2 miles, then back west 1/2 mile. I knew this was necessary, but another pain in the butt.

So, I started out, got to the other side about 15 minutes later, unfolded the planter, and started going. I was watching for Dad to come along as well with his tractor and planter. Unfortunately, he showed up with his pickup.

He had two tires go out on the Kinze planter as he was passing through town. He got a ride from a neighbor and got his pickup. I would have gone ahead and planted the field with my 12 row 30 planter, but I didn't have enough seed - the Kinze had the rest. Hmmm.

So, I continue planting what I could until my number 1 row alarm goes off. I check it, and lo and behold, the bracket that holds the drive sprocket for that row has broken, and the chain will jump off, causing no seed to be planted for that row. It requires a replacement.

Guess what? John Deere and the tire stores aren't open on Sunday.

So, Monday I will get three tires fixed at the tire shop (the two from the Kinze and my tractor's front tire from two days ago), Dad will get a new sprocket at John Deere, and we'll attempt to finish the field in between the rains.

So, the old adage holds true once again.

On a side note, I am enjoying using the XM radio in the tractor. You'd probably have me pegged as having it set to every talk show channel, or at least that and country music. In fact, I've got a couple of techno/pop/dance channels set. I heard a great song yesterday, wrote it down, and found the video for it on YouTube. The singer, a Swede going by the name of September, probably never thought her music would reach the hinterlands of the South of Iowa, much less in a tractor, but the wonders of technology never cease.

Here's the video.



I think she's better than Shania Twain. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara B said...

I'd say that's another reason not to "work" on Sunday.

10:56 AM, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home