Sunday, October 01, 2006

Songs NOT for 9/11

This has probably been discussed in a blog years ago, but I came across a list of songs that were deemed "inappropriate" by Clear Channel for airplay immediately after the 9/11 tragedy. Check them out here.

OK, I can understand a few of these songs might offend or exasperate someone in mourning, such as Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot" or Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls Of Fire". These aren't "get up and dance at a funeral" songs (then again, what is a get-up-and-dance-at-a-funeral song?), songs that will help heal the pain.

But, what is contained in the lyrics of the Beatles "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" or or Louie Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" that is so offensive? I would think that Satchmo's song would be soothing and relaxing. Maybe it wasn't such a wonderful world after all, I guess.

I found this entry rather interesting:
Rage Against The Machine – all songs

This is also the same group that had a rather distinct way of protesting against censorship at Lollapalloza 1993.










What I'd like to find is a list of songs deemed inappropriate for use in extracting information from terrorists. Would it include...?

Britney Spears - All songs
N'Sync - All songs
Billy Rae Cyrus - "Achy Breaky Heart"

"Stop, stop, I tell you, I tell you where guns of big boom are, just no play whoops I did again! Allah why have you forsaken me?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeremie Jordan said...

Crap, Sonda and I's song is "What a Wonderful World." I wish when we had a tender moment and decided that is was "our song" I knew it promoted terrorism. Now I feel like my marriage is some twisted momument to Allah...

7:26 AM, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music too painfull for extracting information?
How about ANY album by the BeeGees? Three falsetto freaks at disco speed and they'd be begging for 72 virgins.

9:25 AM, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Dorf said...

Hey.. Paris Hilton has a song in the top 40 right now... Everytime I hear the damn thing I yell, "Geneva Convention, why have you forsaken me!!"

8:37 AM, October 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home