Thursday, June 14, 2007

Price of crackers


If you go to your favorite restaurant in the near future and see a sign at the salad bar saying "Crackers - 10 cents each", you can blame me for that.
I sold 1000 bushels of soft red winter wheat today for delivery in July to Trenton, MO MFA elevator for $5.18/bu. That is like...a lot. Last year I sold for $3.87/bu, and that was a lot more than earlier (around $3.20/bu or so).
Since SRWW is used to make crackers and such,the higher costs of wheat will surely cause the price of condiments at the salad bar go up as well....
...At least if one follows the logic presented by food processors. The minimum wage increase, fuel costs, inflation, interest rates...these do not make the price of food go up, according to them.
It's those darn greedy farmers who dare take the price given to them by the market! We need subsidies to keep food prices low...oh wait, we already have that. Well, we need price controls!...uh, had that, didn't work.
I guess we'll have to deal with it together, folks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here we didn't bother with wheat last year mostly because we didn't figure it would be worth the effort because of price what with fuel costs etc.

Guess that is why I don't rely on the farm for my living. I'd lose the place in a season or three.

Hi! I'm a genius! I have no common sense!

11:01 PM, June 14, 2007  
Blogger Irreverence and Lutefisk said...

Now, you know the real solution to all of this is to just completely eliminate the family farm and give their land to Agribusninesses.

10:52 AM, June 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home